The week before you travel can be really stressful. You’re trying to finish up a bunch of things at work and at home before you go, and then you’re also trying to get everything you’ll need on your trip. So you don’t have to think of everything, here’s a list of my must do tasks the week before I leave.
- Call your credit card company and bank. If you don’t call them, there’s a chance they’ll think your card has been stolen and shut it down once you make purchases in a new country.
- Call your phone company. Find out what international packages and deals they have. See what the fees will be for calls, texts, and data usage.
- Pack everything a couple days beforehand so that anything you’re missing can be picked up before you go, or if you’re luggage is over the allowed weight you can decide what not to bring.
- Pick up cash in the currency you’ll need where you’re traveling. You don’t need to bring all the cash for your whole trip, in fact it’s better not to be carrying around that kind of money, but it’s good to have enough to get you through the first day.
- Download apps for the public transit systems where you’re going.
- Take a photo of your passport and keep it in a separate bag from your actual passport. If something happens and you loose it, having this picture might make the difference between you getting on a plane or not.
- Take a deep breath. Just relax a little and let yourself get excited for the trip. It’s going to be great!